JP Short II moved to Tifton, GA in 1910 to work with his Brother-in-law Jack Taylor at Taylor Hardware & Furniture. In 1917, He and his wife Linda opened Short Hardware on Main Street in Tifton GA. JP Short III took over the store in 1932 after the deaths of both of his parents. JP operated Short Hardware through the depression until 1939. After a short stint at Rodenberrys Hardware JP and his Uncle HP Paulk founded Short & Paulk in 1941 in an old warehouse along the railroad tracks on South Main Street in Tifton, GA. Our first phone number was 97. Short & Paulk always has sold building materials, but in the early days they were also heavily involved in the agricultural supply business, selling tractors, farm implements, feeds, seeds, and fertilizers. Short & Paulk was also a distributor for Diamond-T trucks.
Today third generation family member J.P. (Jay) Short V serves as President and CEO. Short & Paulk currently operates 5 Lumberyards – Home Centers, Short & Paulk in Tifton, Sylvester, Albany, Dawson, and Cuthbert. In addition we operate Georgia Structural Components a Truss Manufacturing Plant in Tifton and a Door Assembly shop in Tifton. Short & Paulk currently employs over 100 full and part-time employees. Our fleet of trucks deliver building products to jobsites all over South Georgia, North Florida, and Southeast Alabama. At Short & Paulk, we supply products that build dreams.